Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sunday School Lessons in an English Class

This past week we've been reading an incredible novel entitled, Night. The author, Elie Wiesel, beautifully describes his encounters as a Jewish prisoner in a German concentration camp, so basically the novel is about the Holocaust, in which MANY Jewish people suffered and lost their lives needlessly!!

I was surprised to see that many of my 7th graders had never heard about the Holocaust, so it made teaching about it a lot more exciting. In several places the author referred to the passover, so I asked my kids if anyone knew what the passover was, and no one did! I quickly explained to them that it's a celebration that the Jewish people observe because of when the Israelites were free from Egyptian bondage many years ago. Yes...you guessed it. They had no clue of what I was talking about. So.......I incorporated a little Sunday School lesson and told them the old story that we're so familiar with: Moses and the Red Sea experience. They were fascinated and asked many questions.

Later on the author compared himself and the Jews to the Bible character, Job. I asked them if anyone knew the story about Job, and only 1 student knew the story. Well, since I haven't been fired yet, I told them another Bible story about Job.

It broke my heart to see many students no nothing about Jesus and His word!!! I'm very thankful that God gave me this opportunity to share with them what I've known all my life. Once again, please pray for our students and for me that I can be a witness to them!

4 comments:

Gene Holley said...

I loved (but hated) that book! The story was incredible, but it was the fact that this really happened that made me hate it. It was quite moving. Glad you were able to share with your students! It is sad that they didn't already know the Bible truths

Michelle said...

What an awesome opportunity you had! I'll be praying for you!

Keith and Carla said...

Janet, what a challenge lies ahead for you! Prayers...

Lynda said...

We need more teachers like you. Lots of Prayers, Lynda